Logo Picture Left SideLogo Picture Right SideLogo Text at Center
Home > Search > Site Map > Kentucky > Quarries in Kentucky & Quarry Links, Photographs, and Articles

Quarries in Kentucky & Quarry Links, Photographs, and Articles

Go to
  • LaGrange (near), Oldham County Kentucky - Falling Rock Park is a Former Rock Quarry   (history) This site is presented by the Blue Grass Diving Club.  It is noted on this web site that Falling Rock Park is an old quarry that has been turned into a dive site.  The quarry is now privately owned.  A map of La Grange, Kentucky, and Falling Rock Park is included.
  • Lake City, Kentucky - Gilbertsville Quarry  (present-day company) Contact: Vulcan Materials Co., Reed Quarry, 947 U.S. Highway 62, Grand Rivers, KY 42045; (270) 362-1282.  Location:  On US Hwy. 62/641, "Between the Dams," Lake City, KY.  From I-24 exit 31and go S on KY Hwy. 453 to ramp for US Hwy. 62/641 and go west to quarry office on left.
  • Lake Kentucky, Pisgah Bay, Kentucky - the Rock Quarry and Pisgah Bay Entrances (photograph)  This site is presented by Kentucky Lake Online.  There an old stone quarry at the entrance of Pisgah Bay.  The stone was used in the construction of the Kentucky Dam.  A maximum depth of about 118 feet is found within the Pisgah Quarry.  To view an overhead view of Lake Kentucky, click here to visit the aerial photograph taken by Rick LeMarr on his KIMO Adventure Chronicles web site.  Click here to view an aerial photograph showing a limestone quarry north of Kentucky Lake.

  • Larue County, Kentucky - "Larue County quarry operated by the WPA, 1934-1942" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Larue County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 2972 - Item 2972, Box 15)
  • Laurel County, Kentucky - "Laurel County stone quarry, 1941, 1934-1942"  (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/Laurel County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 3019 - Item 3019, Box 15) and (No. 3020 - Item 3020, Box 15)
  • Lebanon (south of), Marion County, Kentucky - Nally Haydon (limestone quarry)  (present-day company) Mailing address: 1270 Hwy. 208, Lebanon KY 40033; (270) 692-2321.  Location: Lebanon, Kentucky – 1-1/2 miles south on KY 208. Quarry on left.
  • Leslie County, Kentucky - "Wedging stone by WPA workers, 1934-1942"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Leslie County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 3099 - Item 3099, Box 15)
  • Letcher County, Kentucky - "Letcher County Quarry, 1940, 1934-1942"  (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/Letcher County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection). They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Letcher County Quarry, 1940."
      • (No. 3165 - Item 3165, Box 15)
    • "Crushed stone stockpiled in Letcher County, 1940."
      • (No. 3168 - Item 3168, Box 15)
  • Letcher County, Kentucky - "Letcher Quarry on Pine Mountain, 1940, 1934-1942"  (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/Letcher County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Letcher Quarry on Pine Mountain showing WPA stone crusher and Cumberland Stone Co. crusher in distance, 1940."
      • (No. 3164 - Item 3164, Box 15)
    • "Wedging stone at Letcher County Quarry on Pine Mountain, 1940."
      • (No. 3166 - Item 3166, Box 15)
    • "Installing new crushing equipment at Letcher County Quarry at Pine Mountain, 1940."
      • (No. 3167 - Item 3167, Box 15)
    • "Letcher County Quarry on Pine Mountain operated by WPA, 1940. Note two men on quarry face."
      • (No. 3162 - Item 3162, Box 15)
  • Letcher County, Kentucky - "Pine Mountain Quarry, 1940, 1934-1942"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Letcher County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 3163 - Item 3163, Box 15)
  • Lewis County, Kentucky - Freestone Quarries Near Stone City and Quincy - Lewis County History - Kinniconick Creek: A natural and historic treasure of Lewis County, by Dr. William M. Talley, published in The Lewis County Herald.  This site is presented by the Lewis County Herald Publishing Co., Inc. (The link from which the following information was obtained is no longer available.)
    <http://www.lewiscountyherald.com/kinnicon.htm>

    The town of Garrison was previously known as Stone City "because of all the stone quarries that were operated in the general vicinity."  Freestone was quarried from behind Garrison and Quincy and shipped from the area. 

  • Lexington, Kentucky - McConnell Springs - Stone Quarry.  This site is presented by the Kentucky Geological Survey in their section entitled: “Geology of Fayette County” section. “Geologic Places to Visit in Fayette County.” (Scroll down to the section entitled, “Economic Geology of Fayette County.)  The article on McConnell Springs is by John D. Kiefer, Stephen F. Greb, and Richard Smath, and photographs and the history of McConnell Springs are presented.  The Springs, which is now a recreational area, had been the location of a mill, a gunpowder factory, dairy farm, stockyard, a source of water for distillers, and a rock quarry from which the stone was used to construct the buildings on the site.  (McConnell Springs, Rebmann Lane, P.O. Box 23766, Lexington, KY 40523-3766; (859) 225-4073)

  • Leitchfield (west of), Grayson County, Kentucky - Ragland Quarry (limestone) (present-day company)  Mailing address: 1792 Owensboro Rd., Leitchfield Ky. 42754; (270) 259-2000.  Location: Leitchfield Ky.: Approx. 1 1/2 mi. west on Ky. 54. Quarry on right.
  • Lexington (south of), Kentucky - Vulcan Materials Quarry  (present-day company - scroll down on page)  Entrance to Vulcan Materials limestone quarry on Elk Lick Falls Rd. between Athens and Clays Ferry Bridge, south of Lexington.  (This information is presented on the Waypoint web site.)
  • Lincoln County, Kentucky - "Lincoln County Quarry operated by WPA, 1934-1942"  (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/Lincoln County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Lincoln County Quarry operated by WPA, 1934-1942."
      • (No. 3225 - Item 3225, Box 15)
    • "Lincoln County Quarry stone crusher operated by WPA, 1934-1942."
      • (No. 3226 - Item  3226, Box 15)
  • Livingston County, Kentucky – Vulcan Mineral's Reed Quarry (photograph) The Reed Quarry in western Kentucky produces more limestone than any other quarry in the United States.
  • Louisville, Kentucky – Continental Car Company of America, Incorporated (The following information is an advertisement in Pit and Quarry: Sand - Gravel - Stone, magazine, December 1921, pp. 110.)

    Continental Car Company of America, Incorporated
    Louisville, Kentucky

    Continental Dump Cars
    are Built stronger to wear longer

    Let us submit specifications to you -
    - to show you their over-strength
    - to show you how easily operated they are
    - to show you that they are built for heavy work

  • Louisville, Kentucky - Stone Quarries at Cave Hill Cemetery  (history)  (The following quotation is used with the permission of Cave Hill Cemetery.)
    • Early History of Cave Hill Cemetery:

      “The city fathers did not have a cemetery in mind when they acquired part of the old farm that the Johnson family had called Cave Hill.  The farm had a good spring emanating from a cave, but its stone quarries were of principal interest, particularly because the proposed Louisville and Frankfort Railroad was supposed to run through the property.  As almost an afterthought, a few flat acres were to be surveyed off to balance the burying privileges at the west end of Jefferson Street.

      “Years went by and it became evident that the railroad would skirt the quarries.”

    • The Grounds of Cave Hill Cemetery:

      “Newspaper reports of early criminal court cases frequently end with: sentenced to the cave.  The jail was called everything but a cave.  The cave was the quarry at Cave Hill operated by the city in conjunction with the Workhouse.  Stone was for various uses and brick was also made there by the inmates.  Stone at other locations of the Cave Hill property was also quarried and at what time these were opened is not known, but the city was well aware of their potential when it purchased the land in 1835.  It can be assumed that the quarry site in Section F was closed by the time the cemetery was dedicated and lots were being sold nearby.  Another large quarry was in Section 27.

      “As the cemetery began to encroach on the east side of the ravine, the City, which entered the property, suspended operation of that quarry and it filled up with water.  In 1891, Superintendent Campbell drained the quarry pool and enlarged it into a lake-25 feet deep in the middle.  About 1925, the quarry lake was fenced in and its cliffs were planted with trees and shrubs so as to be an improved part of the cemetery grounds.”

    • Cemetery Tours
  • Louisville, Kentucky Cave Hill Cemetery - Day Trips – Cave Hill Cemetery, by Thomas Freese on Chevy Chaser Magazine online web site, 2002.  This article includes a photograph of the quarry pond. (The link to this article is no longer available.)
    < http://www.chevychaser.com/april_02/columns/thomas_freese>
  • Louisville, Kentucky - Stone Quarry on the property of the Tucker House Bed & Breakfast Farmhouse Building  (photographs and history)  Stone taken from the quarry over 162 years ago on the property was used to building the foundation for the Tucker House and the outbuildings and can still be seen today.
  • Louisville, Kentucky - Liter's Quarry Inc.  (present-day company) 
    • Liter's Rock Springs Quarry  (photograph)

      In order to provide construction grade aggregate, William T. Liter founded Liter's Quarry, Inc. in 1939.  Since then Liter's Quarry, Inc. has grown to become the "foremost supplier of construction and commercial grade aggregates with is locations in North Central Kentucky and Southern Indiana."

  • Louisville, Kentucky - Stone Quarry near the Tucker House Bed and Breakfast. Near the Tucker House Bed and Breakfast you can visit the following:  the quarry used to supply stone for the foundation of the Tucker House and outbuildings, the original stone spring house, and a dry-laid masonry wall.
  • Lower Howard's Creek (along), Kentucky -  Large Limestone Quarry  (history)  By 1787 the Kentucky River was fully utilized for transportation of goods on flatboats down the Ohio and Mississippi River to New Orleans.  In 1816 steamboats came into use on the rivers. Lower Howard's Creek is an important tributary to the Kentucky River.  In the late eighteenth and throughout most of the nineteenth centuries there was a large limestone quarry that operated along Lower Howard's Creek.  The name of the quarry and exact location is not stated.  (This information is presented on the 10/26/2002 draft/abstract entitled, "A Place Forgotten: Lower Howard's Creek, Kentucky as an example of changing industrial and consumer landscapes, the John and Rachel Martin House (Site 15Ck478), by J. Eric Thomason.  Paper prepared for the 59th Annual Southeastern Archaeological Conference, Beau Rivage Resort and Casino, Biloxi, Mississippi, November 6-9, 2002.) (The link from which the above information was obtained is no longer available, although you can click here to visit the web site which presented the document: Cultural Resources Analysts, Inc.)
    <http://www.crai-ky.com/projects/reports/seac-lhc.pdf>

  • Madison County, Kentucky - "WPA Office at quarry site, Richmond, KY, 1941, 1934-1942"  (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/ Madison County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "WPA Office at quarry site, Richmond, KY, 1941"
      • (No. 3464 - Item 3464, Box 16)
      • (No. 3465 - Item 3465, Box 16)
  • Marion County, Kentucky - "Marion County quarry operated by WPA, 1934-1942" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Marion County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 3538 - Item 3538, Box 16)
  • Maysville, Mason County, Kentucky - Dravo Lime (limestone quarry) (present-day company)  Mailing address: Box 629, 9222 Springdale Road, Maysville KY 41056; (606) 564-9600.  Location: Maysville, Kentucky – from intersection KY 11 and KY 10, go east on KY 10 for 6.5 miles. Turn left on Springdale Road and go 3.6 miles to quarry.

    The Kosmos Portland Cement Company is located at Kosmosdale, Jefferson County, Kentucky.  The company uses oolitic limestone quarried in its quarries in Meade County.  "The stone is ground and mixed with Pleistocene clay of the inner valley of Ohio River."

  • McCreary County, Kentucky - "Marslus siding quarry operated by WPA, 1941, 1934-1942"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/ McCreary County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 3412 - Item 3412, Box 16)
  • McCreary County, Kentucky - "Road and bridge abutment approaching limestone quarry, 1941, 1934-1942"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/ McCreary County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 3413 - Item 3413, Box 16)
  • McCreary County, Kentucky - "Sandstone building quarry operated by WPA, 1941, 1934-1942"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/ McCreary County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 3411- Item 3411, Box 16)
  • McCreary County, Kentucky - "Stone crusher at limestone quarry operated by WPA, 1941, 1934-1942"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/ McCreary County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 3410 - Item 3410, Box 16)
  • McKee, Jackson County, Kentucky - MA Walker Company (limestone quarry) (present-day company) P.O. Box 143, McKee KY 40447; (606) 965-3151.  Location: McKee, Kentucky – 13 miles north on US 421 (Clover Bottom).
  • Meade County, Kentucky - Kosmos Portland Cementy Company Oolitic Limestone Quarries.  (present-day company)  Mailing address: Box 629, 9222 Springdale Road, Maysville KY 41056; (606) 564-9600. 

    The Kosmos Portland Cement Company is located at Kosmosdale, Jefferson County, Kentucky.  The company uses oolitic limestone quarried in its quarries in Meade County.  "The stone is ground and mixed with Pleistocene clay of the inner valley of Ohio River."

  • Meade County, Kentucky - Kosmos Portland Cement Company Quarries.  (From: Excerpts from Structural Materials, Advance Chapter from Contributions to Economic Geology, Bulletin 430-F, 1909, (Short Papers and Preliminary Reports)  Part 1. Metals and Nonmetals, Except Fuels, United States Geological Survey, 1910.)  (Use the link above to view an analysis of the Meade County oolitic limestone quarry.)
  • Meade County, Kentucky - "Meade Quarry operated by WPA, 1934-1942"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Meade County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Access road to Meade County Quarry operated by WPA."
      • (No. 3609 - Item 3609, Box 16)
    • "Meade County Quarry operated by WPA"
      • (No. 3610 - Item 3610, Box 16)
      • (No. 3611 - Item 3611, Box 16)
      • (No. 3612 - Item 3612, Box 16)
    • "Stone crusher at Meade County Quarry"
      • (No. 3613 - Item 3613, Box 16)
    • "Stone crusher at Meade County Quarry"
      • (No. 3617 - Item 3617, Box 16)
  • Memphis Junction, Kentucky – Bowling Green Stone Co. (The following information is from an advertisement in Stone: An Illustrated Magazine, Vol. XI, No. 6, November, 1895, Stone Publishing Co., New York, pp. iii.)

    Bowling Green Stone Co.
    Sole Owners and Producers of
    Bowling Green (Ky.) Oolitic Limestone
    Used Extensively for Half a Century.

    Particularly celebrated for its non-staining properties, and for retaining and increasing its original whiteness upon exposer.
    Furnished in Mill Blocks, Sawed or Dressed.
    Quarries and Plant, Memphis Junction, KY.
    General Office, Louisville, KY.
    Illustrated pamphlet, prices and Samples on Request.

  • Mercer County, Kentucky - "Mercer County Quarry operated by WPA, 1934-1942" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Mercer County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection). They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Mercer County Quarry operated by WPA"
      • (No. 3671 - Item 3671, Box 17)
    • "Loading stone with loader at Quarry stockpile"
      • (No. 3672 - Item 3672, Box 17)
    • "Water tower at Mercer County Quarry"
      • (No. 3673 - Item 3673, Box 17)
    • "Mercer County Quarry stone crusher"
      • (No. 3674 - Item 3674, Box 17)
    • "Portable stone crusher operated by WPA"
      • (No. 3675 - Item 3675, Box 17)
  • Metcalfe County, Kentucky - "Metcalfe County Quarry operated by the WPA, 1934-1942" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Metcalfe County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Metcalfe County Quarry operated by the WPA"
      • (No. 3707 - Item 3707, Box 17)
    • "Stone crusher and bin at County Quarry operated by the WPA"
      • (No. 3708 - Item 3708, Box 17)
  • Monroe County, Kentucky - "Monroe County Quarry operated by the WPA, 1934-1942" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Monroe County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Monroe County Quarry operated by the WPA"
      • (No. 3737 - Item 3737, Box 17)
      • (No. 3739 - Item 3739, Box 17)
  • Morgan County, Kentucky - "Morgan County Quarry operated by the WPA, 1934-1942" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Morgan County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 3792 - Item 3792, Box 17)
  • Morgantown (south of), Butler County, Kentucky - Yukon Valley Minerals (limestone quarry) (present-day company) Mailing address: P.O. Box 86, Aberdeen, Ky. 42201; (270) 526-6961.  Location: Morgantown, Kentucky: Go 8 miles south on US 231. Turn left on Kentucky 1435. Go 3/4th mile and turn right to quarry.
  • Monticello, Wayne County, Kentucky - Bassett Stone Company (limestone quarry) (present-day company) (Hinkle Contracting) Mailing address: P.O. Box 434, Monticello KY 42633; (606) 348-9330.  Location: Monticello, Kentucky – 0.6 mile southeast on KY 92. Turn left and go 400 yards to quarry.
  • Mount Sterling, Montgomery County, Kentucky - Montgomery Stone (limestone quarry) (present-day company) P.O. Box 308, Mt. Sterling KY 40353; (859) 498-2025.  Location: Mt. Sterling, Kentucky - at I-64 go 0.8 mi. north on US 460 & KY 11. Turn left on US 460 and go 4.5 miles to Chiles Rd. Turn left and go 2 miles to Donaldson Road. Turn right to quarry.
  • Mount Sterling, Kentucky - The Walker Company of Kentucky (present-day company)
    • Our History (of the Walker Company)
    • About Us (the Walker Company)

      The Walker Company is a family-owned construction company in its fourth generation.  The company began in 1933 with the partnership between Arthur E. (Easy) Walker and his father and brother.  The White Rock Mountain Quarry was the first quarry established, and it produced crushed limestone products. 

      Since then the Walker Company has continued in the production of construction materials.  Today the company operations include ".five quarries, two bituminous hot-mix asphalt plants and one ready-mix asphalt concrete plant."

  • Muhlenberg County, Kentucky - "Muhlenberg County Quarry operated by the WPA, 1934-1942" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Muhlenberg County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 3824 - Item 3824, Box 17)
  • Nelson County, Kentucky - "Nelson County Quarry operated by the WPA, 1934-1942" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Nelson County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Nelson County Quarry operated by the WPA."
      • (No. 3856 - Item 3856, Box 17)
      • (No. 3857 - Item 3857, Box 17)
  • Nicholasville, Kentucky - the Allen Co., Inc., Lexington Quarry and Asphalt Plant.  (present-day company)  (The quotation below is used with the permission of the Allen Co., Inc.)
    • Quarries and Asphalt Plants of Allen Co., Inc. 

      "The Allen Company operates two limestone quarries in Central Kentucky. The first, the Boonesborough Quarry, opened in 1939, and provides a varied of limestone rock to customers in Clark and Madison County. The second, The Lexington Quarry, opened in 1966 and provides limestone rock to customers in Jessamine, Fayette, and Woodford County. In addition to providing limestone the quarries are also essential to the four asphalt plants that are operated by the Allen Company in Boonesborough, Lexington, Berea, and Danville Kentucky."

  • Ohio County, Kentucky - "Ohio County Quarry operated by the WPA, 1934-1942" (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/Ohio County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Ohio County Quarry operated by the WPA."
      • (No. 3926 - Item 3926, Box 17)
    • "Stone crusher operated by WPA at County Quarry."
      • (No. 3927 - Item 3927, Box 17)
  • Olive Hill, Carter County, Kentucky - Ruth Bros. Inc. (limestone quarry) (present-day company)  Mailing address: P.O. Box 729, Morehead KY 40351; (606) 286-2089.  Location: Olive Hill, Kentucky – 3 miles east on US 60. Turn left past bridge and go 1/4th mile to quarry.
  • Bowling Green, Kentucky Omans (?) Stone Quarry, Bowling Green, KY.
    (colorized postcard photograph, #A2837; postmark 1909. The title on the postcard originally read “White Stone Quarry, Bowling Green, Ky.” Someone crossed out “White” and wrote in “Omans” or “Omars.”) Bowling Green, Kentucky Omans (?) Stone Quarry, Bowling Green, KY
  • Owen County, Kentucky - "Crushing stone at County Quarry, 1934-1942"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Owen County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.    (No. 3947 - Item 3947, Box 17)
  • Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky - Bourbon Limestone Quarry (present-day company)  Mailing address: P.O. Box 218, Paris KY 40361; (859) 987-4425.  Location: Paris, Kentucky – 1-1/2 miles southwest on Fords Mill Road.

    Paris, Kentucky - W. A. Hill (Contractor). The following information is from The Monumental News, “Quarry Notes” section, August, 1895, Vol. 7, No. 8, Chicago, Illinois, pp. 504. “W. A. Hill of Paris, Ky., was contractor for a handsome monument dedicated in the Lexington cemetery last month in memory of Gen. Roger W. Hanson.”

  • Paris, Kentucky - Hinkle Contracting Corporation (Quarries)  (present-day company)
    • Central Quarries  (Natural Bridge Stone at Stanton, Powell County, Kentucky and Tipton Ridge Quarry, at Ravenna, Estill County, Kentucky)
    • Cumberland Quarries in southern Kentucky (Bassett Stone Company, in Monticello, Wayne County, Kentucky; Casey Stone Company in Liberty, Casey County, Kentucky; Jellico Stone Company, in Jellico, Campbell County, Tennessee; Lake Cumberland Stone in Burnside, Pulaski County, Kentucky; and Somerset Stone Company in Somerset, Pulaski County, Kentucky.

      Buckner Hinkle, the company founder, began a family partnership in 1942.  During World War II, the company worked under contract for the Department of Defense.  After the war, the focus of the company was shifted to highway construction.  Small bridges and culverts were the earliest road projects of the company until 1946 when equipment was obtained to do "Road mix surfacing."  The company went into "black-top paving" a year later when a bituminous hot-mix plant was purchased.  

      The company "expanded from that first plant into a state wide network of asphalt plants, limestone quarries and ready-mix concrete plants."  Approximately two million tons of stone are quarried and marketed by the company today (about 1903).

  • Perry County, Kentucky - Perry County Sandstone Quarry.  (This web site was presented by the City of Hazard.) (The link from which the following information was obtained is no longer available.)
    <http://www.cityofhazard.com/services_facilities_pages/museum/museum.htm>

    The Bobby Davis Memorial Library building in the Bobby Davis Museum & Park is constructed of Perry County Sandstone. 

  • Perryville (near), "Boyle County, Kentucky -  Boyle County quarry near Perryville, 1934-1942."  (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/Boyle County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection). 
    • "Boyle County quarry near Perryville, 1934-1942."
      • (No. 1190 - Item 1190, Box 10)
    • "Boyle County quarry near Perryville, 1940, 1934-1942."
      • (No. 1191 - Item 1191, Box 10)
  • Powell County, Kentucky - Pilot Knob State Nature Preserve - Historic Millstone Quarry.  The preserve is managed by Eastern Kentucky University.  Some of the interesting aspects of this preserve are the cultural history, scenic views, and historic millstone quarry where you can still see partially carved millstones abandoned years ago.  This site provides a history, description of the park, and a photograph. 

  • Princeton (near), Kansas - Oolitic Limestone Quarries.  "...Barren and Caldwell have produced considerable stone from time to time from points near Glasgow Junction and Princeton.  There is little doubt that the stone of these localities is approximately at the same horizon as the Bedford and Bowling Green stones."  (From "Oolitic Limestone at Bowling Green and Other Places in Kentucky," by James H. Gardner, excerpt from Structural Materials, Advance Chapter from Contributions to Economic Geology, Bulletin 430-F, 1909, (Short Papers and Preliminary Reports)  Part 1. Metals and Nonmetals, Except Fuels, United States Geological Survey, 1910.)

  • Princeton, Caldwell County, Kentucky  - Princeton Quarry (limestone) (Rogers Group, Inc.) (present-day company) 10234 Hopkinsville Road, Princeton KY 42445-6867; (270) 365-6881.  Location: Princeton, Kentucky – 3 miles south on KY 91.
  • Pulaski County, Kentucky - "Estesburg Quarry operated by the WPA"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Pulaski County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 4182 - Item 4182, Box 18)
  • Pulaski County, Kentucky - "Pulaski County Quarry south of the river, 1940"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Pulaski County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site.    
    • "Pulaski County Quarry south of the river, 1940."
      • (No. 4122 - Item 4122, Box 18)
      • (No. 4123 - Item 4123, Box 18)
    • "Stone crusher at County Quarry, 1940."
      • (No. 4124 - Item 4124, Box 18)
  • Pulaski County, Kentucky - "Sloan's Valley Quarry operated by the WPA"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Pulaski County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 4183 - Item 4183, Box 18)
  • Pulaski County, Kentucky - "Somerset Quarry operated by the WPA"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Pulaski County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 4181 - Item 4181, Box 18)
  • Quincy, Kentucky - Freestone Quarries behind Garrison and Quincy  (history)  This information is from "Lewis County History - Kinniconick Creek: A natural and historic treasure of Lewis County," by Dr. William M. Talley, published on May 12 and 18, 1998, The Lewis County Herald. (The link from which this information was obtained is no longer available.)
    <http://www.lewiscountyherald.com/kinnicon.htm#three>

    The town of Garrison was previously known as Stone City "because of all the stone quarries that were operated in the general vicinity."  Freestone was quarried behind Garrison and Quincy and shipped outside of the area. 

  • Rockcastle County, Kentucky – Sparks Quarry.  The author notes that the stone from the Sparks Quarry was used in the construction of a few buildings.  This quarry is reported as "mammoth" in size and that "four acres of stone had been removed, exposing as much as 150' of the quarry's rock face."  (This information is from the "Natural Environment In The Eastern Kentucky Cultural Landscape," presented by the Kentucky Coal Education web site.)

  • Rockville, Rowan County, Kentucky -  Stone Quarries at Rockville and Bluestone  (history)  When the Elizabethtown, Lexington & Big Sandy Railroad began operation in Rowan County, the stone, coal, and timber resources in the county began to be exploited.  "Rockville and Bluestone developed as rock quarry centers."  This web site is presented by the Kentucky Court of Justice, and this information is located in the "County History" section of this web page.

  • Rockville (later Bluestone), Kentucky - Stone Quarry  (history)  The following is an account by Jack Elam, on the Cassity/Cassidy Family Association web site, and the quotation below is used with the permission of Jack Elam.

    " A Tip of The Hat to Jack Cassity

    "I'm very sorry to say that I never knew my Granddad, Jack Cassity, personally as he died in 1920 and I wasn't born until twelve years later in 1932. I have four pictures of him. The earliest of these pictures is one taken at the "Doc.Van" Stone Quarry in Farmers, KY in the early days of this century. The picture is a group of employees that worked at the mill. Standing on top of one of the large blocks of stone is Grandpa Jack. He was over six feet in height and stood straight as an arrow.

    "Three of these stone quarries operated in the Triplett Creek valley. One was at the town of Rockville (later Bluestone), one at Freestone and the one mentioned above at Farmers. These quarries were the economic backbone of this area. The stone was sawed into various sizes and used to build bridge abutments for the many rivers and streams that had to be crossed as the C & O laid track toward Ashland and on into West Virginia. Shortly before World War One the demand for stone began to slow down and that is when many of the workers went to Harvey, Illinois to seek employment. But, that is another story for later."

  • Rowan County, Kentucky - "Bluestone Quarry operated by the WPA"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Rowan County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 4238 - Item 4238, Box 18)
  • Rowan County, Kentucky - "WPA workers shaping building stone"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Rowan County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed at the web site.  (No. 4232 - Item 4232, Box 18)
  • Russell County, Kentucky - "Rowena Quarry operated by the WPA"   (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Russell County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 4251 - Item 4251, Box 18)
  • Shepherdsville, Bullitt County, Kentucky - Bullitt County Stone Company (limestone quarry) (present-day company)  Mailing address: P.O. Box 310, Bells Mill Road, Shepherdsville KY 40165; (502) 957-5180.  Location:  Shepherdsville, Kentucky – 5 miles north on KY 61. Turn right onto Bells Mill Road to quarry.
  • Shepherdsville, Bullitt County, Kentucky - Shepherdsville (limestone quarry) (present-day company) 3260 N Preston Highway, Shepherdsville KY 40165; (502) 955-6962.  Location: Shepherdsville, Kentucky – 2.7 miles north on KY 61. Quarry on right.
  • Shopville, Pulaski County, Kentucky - Hanson Aggregates (limestone quarry) (present-day company)  Mailing address: 685 Hwy. 1003, Somerset KY 42501; (606) 274-4151.  Location: Shopville, Kentucky – 0.7 mile east on KY 80. Turn right onto 1003, quarry on right.
  • Simpson County, Kentucky - "Simpson County Quarry, 1940"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Simpson County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  Theycan be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Stockpile of stone at County Quarry, 1940."
      • (No. 4296 - Item 4296, Box 18)
      • (No. 4297 - Item 4297, Box 18)
      • (No. 4308 - Item 4308, Box 18)
  • Simpsonville, Shelby County, Kentucky - Stone quarry on the farm site of the Old Stone Inn, built in 1817.  The stone used in the construction of  the two-foot thick stone walls for the building was quarried on the farm.  The inn was once a frontier coach stop.
  • Smithland, Livingston County, Kentucky - Martin Marietta Aggregates (limestone quarry) (present-day company) Mailing address:  830 Three Rivers Quarry Road, Smithland, KY 42081; (270) 928-2141.  Location: Smithland, Kentucky – 5.8 miles east on US 60. Turn right, go 0.9 miles to the quarry.
  • Somerset, Pulaski County, Kentucky - Elmo Greer and Sons Quarry, LLC. (limestone) (present-day quarry)  Mailing address: 26 Hickory Lane, Somerset Ky. 42501; (606) 274-9144.  Location: Somerset Ky: Go 15 miles east on Highway 80. Quarry on left.
  • Somerset (near), Kentucky - Oolitic Limestone at Bowling Green and Other Places in Kentucky, by James H. Gardner, excerpt from Structural Materials, Advance Chapter from Contributions to Economic Geology, Bulletin 430-F, 1909, (Short Papers and Preliminary Reports)  Part 1. Metals and Nonmetals, Except Fuels, United States Geological Survey, 1910.

    "In the vicinity of Somerset, Ky., there is a bed of homogeneous oolitic limestone about 25 feet thick.  This stratum is in the Newman limestone, which outcrops in an extensive area in this section of the State.  The writer made a reconnaissance of this bed in the hills east of the Southern Railway, discovering exposures which warrant the statement that the available stone is of sufficient quantity to justify commercial development.  There is no marked disturbance of the strata in this region, the rocks being nearly horizontal and showing few vertical joints.  It is probable that this field will be found an attractive one when brought to the attention of those financially interested in this phase of the building-stone industry.  The only use of the stone has been by C. H. Lewis, of Somerset, who has quarried a small amount of oolite from Day Knob, 2 1/2 miles east of Somerset for certain ornamental designs and bases.  The stone is similar to the Bedford and Bowling Green stones in general appearance.  It is light gray, easily carved because of its granular structure, strong, and durable.  Monuments of this stone in the local cemetery have undoubtedly been hardened considerably by exposure.

    "On the east side of Day Knob the oolitic bed is apparently about 29 feet thick, though a partial cover of debris did not permit a complete measurement at the time of the writer's visit.  A clear section of 14 feet was exposed at the top of the bed and 5 feet at the bottom, with an intervening thickness of 10 feet concealed.  At this point the oolite is capped by about 50 feet of hard bluish-gray limestone, but the low relief of the knob would permit a wide quarry face of much less overburden.

    "Three miles south of Somerset and just east of the Southern Railway there is a bed of oolite exposed at a suitable location for development.  the writer could not be sure that this is the same bed as that exposed in Day Knob, but it probably is.  In this locality the stone shows a thickness of 15 feet, covered by hard bluish-gray limestone.  The topography is such that a zone approximately 100 feet wide could be worked over about 50 acres with a cover of not more than 20 feet.

    "This stone is of a grayish-white color and uniform texture, easily quarried and dressed.  It should make a very durable building material and present an attractive appearance in walls of residences."

  • Somerset, Pulaski County, Kentucky - Somerset Stone Company, Inc. (limestone quarry) (present-day company)  Mailing address:  P.O. Box 270, Somerset KY 42502; (606) 679-6384.  Location: Somerset, Kentucky – junction of US 27 and KY 80 Bypass. Go 3 miles east on KY 80. Quarry on left.
  • Spencer County, Kentucky -  "Spencer County Quarry operated by the WPA"   (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Spencer County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 4322 - Item 4322, Box 18)
  • Springfield (south of), Washington County, Kentucky - Nally Gibson Quarries (limestone) (present-day company)  Mailing address: P.O. Box 266, Springfield KY 40069; (270) 336-3737.  Location: Springfield, Kentucky from courthouse go 1/2 mile south on KY 55. Turn right on Booker Road and go 1 mile. Turn right on Old Elizabethtown/Springfield Road and go 0.6 miles. Quarry on right.
  • Trimble County, Kentucky - "Trimble County Quarry operated by the WPA" (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/Trimble County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site. 
    • "Trimble County Quarry operated by the WPA."
      • (No. 4395 - Item 4395, Box 19)
      • (No. 4396 - Item 4396, Box 19)
  • Todd County, Kentucky - "Todd County Quarry operated by the WPA showing workers loading rock into small rail car"  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Todd County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 4375 - Item 4375, Box 19)
  • Trimble County, Kentucky - "Operation of stone quarry, part of Mt. Pleasant Road project"  (photograph)  This photograph is in Album 2 of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site. (No. 513 - Item 513, Box 4)  
  • Tyrone, Anderson County, Kentucky - Hanson Aggregates (limestone quarry) (present-day company)  Mailing address: Box 236, 1645 Tyrone Road, Lawrenceburg KY 40342; (502) 839-3164.  Location: Tyrone, Kentucky – 2 miles east of Lawrenceburg on US 62. Turn right onto Hwy 1510 to quarry.
  • Union County, Kentucky - "Quarrying operation in connection with county Blanket Road Program, 1934-1942."  (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Album 9 of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.    (No. 971 - Item 971, Box 9)
  • Union County, Kentucky - "Union County Quarry operated by the WPA" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Union County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 4424 - Item 4424, Box 19)
  • Vanceburg (near), Lewis County, Kentucky - Large White Limestone Quarry  (history)  This web site was presented in the "County History" section of the Kentucky Court of Justice web site.  (The link from which the following information was obtained is no longer available.)
    <http://www.kycourts.net/Counties/Lewis.asp?County=Lewis>

    According to this site, the stone quarry "operated early in the county's history (and) supplied the white limestone used to construct the present courthouse.

  • Warren County, Kentucky - First American Roads, Rails and Rivers, Warren County Then and Now, presented by the Kentucky Museum, a part of the Western Kentucky University Libraries & Museum.  (Below are a few sections of this web site that are be relevant to the Kentucky stone industry.  There are many other subjects/sections presented on this web site.  The quotation used below in the "Limestone: Limestone" section is used with permission of the Kentucky Museum.)

      "Quarried primarily from the 1870s through the 1920s, the county's oolitic or fish roe limestone is renowned for its superior qualities. Soft and easily workable, Warren County limestone develops an extraordinary hardness and turns white when exposed to the elements. Trademarked by the White Stone Quarry as 'Bowlinggreen Stone,' oolitic limestone won awards at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition, 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago and 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition."

  • Warren County, Kentucky - "Warren County Quarry operated by the WPA" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Warren County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 4492 - Item 4492, Box 19)
  • Wayne County, Kentucky - "Wayne County Quarry operated by the WPA" (photograph)  This photograph is in the Container List - Scrapbook/Wayne County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  It can be viewed on the web site.  (No. 4584 - Item 4584, Box 19)
  • West Liberty (near), Kentucky – Cave Run Limestone (photographs), presented by the Mineral Information Institute (MII)
  • West Point, Harden County, Kentucky - the Fort Hill Rock QuarryBrick Yard Holler, by Gaylen Goldsmith, 200 pp.   This book is a history of the families that lived in this area beneath Fort Duffield from 1800 to the 1970s.  In addition to the biographies and history of the area, the history of the Fort Hill rock quarry at West Point is described  Many of these people were employed at the rock quarry until it ceased operation in 1914.
  • Whitley County, Kentucky - "Mud Creek Quarry operated by the WPA"  (photographs)  These photographs are in the Container List - Scrapbook/Whitley County of the Goodman-Paxton Collection (1934-1942) housed at the University of Kentucky Libraries, Special Collections and Archives, Kentuckiana Digital Library (Archival Finding Aids Collection).  They can be viewed at the web site.   
    • "Mud Creek Quarry operated by the WPA."
      • (No. 4692 - Item 4692, Box 20)
      • (No. 4692 - Item 4692, Box 20)
  • Wolf Creek, Meade County, Kentucky - Riverside Stone (limestone quarry along the Ohio), presented by the Meade County Tourism Commission(Scroll down to the entry on Wolfe Creek.)   It is indicated in this entry that Riverside Stone is one of the largest employers in Meade County.
  • Wolfe County, Kentucky - Pine Ridge Quarry Photograph.  This web site presents a 1934 photograph of a Civilian Conservation Corps crew loading rock cars.  (Repository Contact Information:  Forest History Society, Inc.; 701 William Vickers Ave., Durham, NC 27701; Tel.: (919) 682-9319). (The link from which the above information was obtained is no longer available.)
    <http://www.lib.duke.edu/forest/CivilianConservationCorps_Gallery/pages/FHS1182th.htm>

[Top of Page]