"Incorporated – The What Cheer (Iowa) Stone Company. The capital stock is $20,000."
According to the “History of River Products Company, Inc.” section of this web site, the company opened the Conklin Quarry in 1920. The Conklin Quarry is located north of the Iowa River in Pennsylvania Township. “Geological surveys indicated a concentrated deposit of quality limestone. The stone tested high in calcium, a geological anomaly to this area.”
The company built a “fine grind limestone plant” at the Conklin Quarry in 1990. This plant produced dry sand and “a specification limestone product for use in coal burning, fluidized boiler bed furnaces.” In 1998 equipment was installed to expand the operations resulting in 9 products being produced at this plant “including both feed grade calcium for the livestock industry and poultry calcium grit for the poultry market.”
Access is not allowed at the quarry without prior approval. You can contact the company for further information about their quarries.
According to the “History of River Products Company, Inc.” section of this web site, the company began to develop the Dingleberry-Ernest Quarry site in 1999; start-up occurred in the fall of 2000. The quarry is located northeast of Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa.
History of River Products Company, Inc.
According to the River Products Company, Inc. web site, this company was the first successful manufacturing operation in Iowa City. The Conklin limestone quarry opened in 1920; it is located north of the Iowa River in Pennsylvania Township.
The limestone taken from this quarry is used in road building, waterways, and agricultural use. Farmers use the agricultural lime “during the spring planting and fall harvest seasons” to reduce soil acidity and to nurture the soil to help it to remain productive.
Other quarries were acquired by the company in 1963 in Washington and Louisa Counties. The company began a crushing operation in 1982 at the Klein Quarry located west of Coralville, Johnson County, Iowa. A “fine grind limestone plant,” was built at the Conklin Quarry in 1990, and in 1998 equipment was added to expand the operations. Then in 1999 the company began to develop the Dingleberry-Ernst Quarry located northeast of Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa; production started in the fall of 2000. About 1999 the company employed 86 full-time employees; and the company moved the corporate offices from downtown to 3273 Dubuque Street, N.E., in Iowa City, Iowa.
Access is not allowed at their quarries without specific approval. You can contact the company for further information about their quarries.
“The marble quarries in the vicinity of Iowa Falls, Ia., are being developed, but are not in shape yet for large orders, though some business is reported to have been done with the product.”
Jackson County, Iowa - Quarry furnishing stone for lime burning at Hurstville showing the massive character of this phase of the Hopkinton. Jackson county, Iowa.
The site presents a photograph of the lime kilns The kilns are located just north of Maquoketa. Building material was produced from these kilns and sent across the country.
"Visitors may walk around the bases of the kilns, walk into the archways where the lime was extracted, and may peer into the fireboxes. The rock crusher is accessible via a stairway which also provides an overview. Exhibit boards with text and illustrations provide additional information.."
"...The four 30'-tall lime kilns were built in the 1870s by Alfred Hurst. The first kiln (no longer extant) was a small 'pot kiln' built in 1871 to test the quality of the lime that could be produced. The later four kilns are about 50' apart and are built into a limestone bluff. The introduction of Portland cement in 1914 reduced the demand for lime, and as a result, the crushed-rock operations were expanded. The kilns were closed in the 1930s, at which time, Hurstville became a ghost town.
"Mr. Park visited the Jackson County Historical Museum and found mention of another limeworks described as 'Pinhook Lime Kilns near Lakehurst Dam.'
"Old State Quarry has historical and geological significance.It is composed mainly of cemented fossil fragments which were concentrated in a high energy tidal surge channel." During the 1830s a series of quarries were opened in the area. The Old State Quarry is one of these quarries, which provided building stone for the Old State Capitol building in Iowa City. The quarry also provided stone for the foundation of the present capitol building in Des Moines. "In the north face, hand-drilled holes can still be seen where spikes were driven to pry loose blocks of stone."
"Two distinct types of stone were used, the brown dolomite of the St. Louis Formation, taken from quarries west of the park along Chequest Creek, and the younger light-gray limestone of the Pella Formation quarried within the park from ledges exposed along Wesley Creek. The picnic shelters and park residence are built of the brown dolomite, while the bridges, stone lodge and lake bath house are constructed from the lighter-colored gray limestone. This light-gray to white, fine-grained limestone is the product of a clear-water shallow sea, and is well-suited to dimensioning for building stone. The limestone was extracted from several Keosauqua area quarries during the 1800's and early 1900's. The historic CCC quarry along Wesley Creek within the park, while somewhat overgrown, is still accessible by foot, and while walking along the sun-drenched quarry ledges examining the air-drilled holes, one can easily imagine industrious crews of young men landing their sledges on the splitting pins."
J. H. Collins was listed as one of the customers of the Mount Brothers of Memphis Missouri, who sold their Air Take-off Device used in carving cemetery stones.
Le Grand Qurry Co.
Iowa Marble, Iowa Caenstone,
Fossilite Marble, Oolitic Limestone.
“Geo. J. Gruber of the Gruber Marble works at Muscatine, Ia., has recently secured his third order for monumental work from ex-governor Boies. The last order is for a monument to be erected at Waterloo , in memory of the governors daughter recently deceased.”