“The memorial arch so popular as a theme for war monuments offers interesting possibilities for the cemetery memorial and one which has not been generally employed. The fact that the supporting piers, the arch stone and cap are made of separate pieces contributes a welcome element of economy. Moreover, arch forms afford the designer an opportunity to create imposing compositions without burdening the site with a heavy mass of stone. The dimensions may be large but the opening gives a desirable relief and one which often preserves a beautiful vista beyond.
The surface enrichment of the ‘Oglesby’ memorial has been confined to panels save for the two sprays which seemingly break through the border at the spandrils of the arch. The work suggests the effective qualities of Georgia Marble. The dimensions are: B base, 11-0x3-8x0-10; base, 9-3x2-1x1-0; piers, 1-4x1-4x4-4; arch stone, 4-10x2-4x1-2; cap, 5-10x2-2; vases, 1-10x1-10x1-6. The work was erected by G. W. Grant, of Atlanta, Ga., and was executed by the Georgia Marble Finishing Works, Canton, Ga.”
“The ‘Willis Brewer’ memorial is a modern adaptation of an interesting type of tomb so common in the churchyards of England and frequently encountered in those old American cemeteries which contain monuments imported from England during the early years of our history. In design they represent an evolution and fusion of the so-called table tomb and the earlier sarcophagi. Several very elaborate interpretations of this form have been erected in America in the past few years and the Brewer, while somewhat less decorative, is admirably proportioned and representative of the type. In the more ornate forms, the mouldings are treated with ornament and the balusters are given strength through the introduction of carvings. The Brewer memorial was executed in Silver Grey Georgia Marble by the Georgia Marble Company for J. Thorburn, of Montgomery, Ala. The B base is 12-4x0-11x8-0, the base is 9-8x1-0x5-4; die, 7-4x2-8x4-0; cap, 9-4x0-10x5-0; balusters, 0-6x2-8x0-6. The ledgers are 8-0x0-8x3-6.
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Birmingham Post Office.
Georgia marble was used for the trimmings and the interior finish in the construction of the Caldwell Hotel prior to August 1894.
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Oscar Wells Mausoleum (no cemetery listed).
The Confederate Monument was presented in 1909, and the monument is constructed of white Georgia marble. An Italian marble statue was placed at the top of the monument. According to this web site, the statue is of a Confederate soldier on picket duty. Marble posts and vases are situated at the entrance. (You can view a photograph of the Confederate Monument on the City of Livingston web site.)
According to this article, the church was constructed of rough-hewn Georgia marble walls and red Italian tiles were used for the domed roof.
The base of the memorial was constructed from Weiblin grey granite from Elberton City Quarries, Inc., in Elberton, Georgia.
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Scroggin Mausoleum (no cemetery listed)
The monument was built 1933-34. Stone was quarried from Catalina Island and used in the foundation of the monument. Blue flagstone rock for the ramps and terraces originated from Little Harbor, Catalina Island. Marble quarried in Georgia was used inside the tower.
Georgia Marble was used for the exquisite Clark Mausoleum, Hollywood Cemetery, Los Angeles, California.
Georgia marble was used in the construction of Tower 17 at the McDonnell Plaza, according to this web site.
Georgia marble was used 20,000 feet of tiling in the construction of the Hall of Records building prior to August 1894.
Georgia marble was used 12,000 feet of tiling in the construction of the Library building prior to August 1894.
Pasadena, Los Angeles County, California – the Jewett Residence – the Lily Pool, Arbor, & Bowl (from “Garden Furniture From Earliest Times, Marble Has Been the Favorite Material for Beautifying Formal Gardens,” in Through the Ages Magazine, July 1926)
|Statue (of Georgia marble) in Lily Pool in the garden of the Jewett residence, Pasadena, California. (pp. 22)|
|“This illustration on this and the (photo above) shows a Lily Pool and its treatment in the garden of the Jewett residence, Pasadena, California. Georgia marble was used for the border, statuary, steps and elsewhere. (pp. 23)|
|“View of the Lily Pool in the Jewett residence at Pasadena, as seen from the porch of the house.” (pp. 24)|
|“The circular arbor behind the pool on the Jewett residence at Pasadena, California” (pp. 25)|
|“Two of the unusual marble columns that support the superstructure of the circular arbor shown at the bottom of page 25 (pp. 27)|
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the DeVaux Mausoleum (no cemetery listed).
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Goldberg Mausoleum (no cemetery listed).
The Georgia Granite Circle was created in 1990 and “consists of about 100 large chunks of white Georgia granite, all piled on the ground in a circle 16 feet in diameter.” The creators were Richard Long, a British land artist.
Denver – “Historic Downtown Walking Tour”
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Wahlgreen Mausoleum (no cemetery listed).
The upper walls are Stone Mountain, Georgia, granite.
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Trowbridge residence.
According to this web site, the stones used in the construction of the Aetna Building are as follows: a large quantity of Georgia marble, 30,000 cubic feet of Alabama limestone, and 3,420 cubic feet of pink marble from North Carolina.
Georgia marble was used for the entire residence prior to August 1894.
Jacksonville, Fla. – The contract for the stone work on the Israel Putnam building here has been awarded to the Ramsey, Brisben Stone Company, of Atlanta, Ga.
Georgia marble was used for the entire U.S. Government building prior to August 1894.
Georgia marble was used for the marble trimmings on W. S. Wear’s residence prior to August 1894.
|The Bok Carillon, or “Singing Tower,” at Mountain Lake, Florida. Construction of Pink and Creole Georgia Marble, and Tan Coquina Rock. The carver herons on the pediment of this structure are 14 feet high, and are carved from solid blocks of Pink Georgia Marble. Milton B. Medary, architect, and Lee Lawrie, sculptor.|
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Ringling residence.
Of Georgia Marble, the impressive Ringling Mausoleum, Sarasota, Florida, commemorates a well-known name.
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Ringling Mausoleum (no cemetery listed).
Georgia marble was used in the construction of the Cuesta Mausoleum (no cemetery listed).
Georgia marble was used for the interior finish in the construction of the First National Bank building prior to August 1894.
|Plate XXXVII. A private residence (the Knight Mansion) in Tampa, Florida, trimmed with white Georgia marble but and furnished by the Blue Ridge Marble Company, Nelson, Georgia.|
“Peter Oliphant Knight was widely described as a ‘leading citizen’ in early Tampa and Hillsborough County, Florida. He arrived with new wife Lillie Frierson (of Ft. Myers ) in 1890, joined the up-and-coming middle class in Hyde Park, Tampa’s first suburb. There the couple built a heart pine Victorian ‘starter’ cottage at 245 Hyde Park Avenue. Peter Knight’s rise in early Tampa business and civic affairs was rapid and steep. With partners W.H. Kendrick and E.S. Douglas, he organized the city’s first electric streetcar line and founded Tampa Electric Company to provide power and light to the growing populace. As an attorney, he served as counsel to more than a score of Tampa businesses and corporations (including shipping concerns and cigar factories), and was a founding director of the Exchange National Bank.
“Before long, the Knight family outgrew their little cottage at 245 Hyde Park Avenue. At the start of the twentieth century, the Knights moved just up the street to the corner of Azeele Street and Hyde Park Avenue, where they built a spacious Gothic Revival mansion, its red brick exterior walls set off by pristine Georgia marble. After the death of their parents, the Knight heirs sold the house to an elder care community, and in the 1980s it was torn down to accommodate commercial building on the site. Nothing remains of the original mansion but some brick and granite corner markers and granite low walls.
“Thankfully, the Knights’ honeymoon cottage at 245 Hyde Park Avenue remains intact. It is now an Historic Landmark and was donated by the Knight descendants in the early 1970s to provide a home for Tampa Historical Society, Inc., which function it still serves.”