Logo Picture Left SideLogo Picture Right SideLogo Text at Center
Home > Search > Site Map > Connecticut > List of Quarries in Connecticut & Quarry Links, Photographs and Articles

List of Quarries in Connecticut & Quarry Links,
Photographs and Articles

Go to Page
  • Quarryville, Connecticut – The Quarryville Boom Town, by Town Historian Hans DePold, Published in February 2001 – Granite & Slate Quarries (photographs and history) Web site created and maintained by Eileen G. Stanley.
  • Roxbury, Connecticut - Local Granite Quarries - A Cornucopia of Classic Countryside, presented by the Litchfield Hills Visitor's Bureau. (The quotes below are used with permission of the Visitor's Bureau, although this link is no longer available.)
    <http://www.litchfieldhills.com/lodging/driving_list.html>

    “Roxbury, a small village once known for its granite and garnet mines. Along the way, you will pass many stately colonial homes and Roxbury's classic Congregational Church, circa 1838 with granite steps cut at the town quarries.”

    Mine Hill Preserve - “This site, on the National Register, has CT’s most extensive ruins of the iron ore industry that once thrived here. A 3.5 mile walk takes you past a blast furnace, roasting ovens, tunnels, shafts and granite quarries.”

  • Selden Island, Connecticut - the Selden Island/Lord’s Island Red Granite Quarries - 1891 article.

    (The article below was transcribed and contributed by Warner Lord who has been researching the Selden Island granite quarries. It is from the Deep River New Era, Whole No. 825, Page 1, August 28, 1891.)

    Quarries of Lord’s Island (Selden Island) (circa 1891)

    (Currently known as Selden Neck State Park located partly in Hadlyme, Connecticut, and Lyme, Connecticut)

    “Probably few of the people of this vicinity realize what an extensive business is being transacted daily at the quarries on Lord’s Island just opposite Deep River. While it is not our purpose to give an exhaustive description of the quarries and the different kinds of rock, a general description of one of the largest business interests of Deep River would not be out of place.

    “The organization under whose management the quarries are is the Connecticut Valley Granite and Mining company. The officers of the company are J. F. Carey, president; Jas. F. Gillen, vice president; T. E. O’Brien, treasurer; T. A. Madden, secretary. Mr. Madden resides in Deep River and has general oversight of the business. The offices are located at 361 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, and 105 Stewart building, New York City.

    “The facilities for shipping stone at the Island are the best. There is in process of construction over 500 feet of dock along which a railroad track extends. The apparatus for loading stone is placed on a flat car so that stone may be loaded from any part of the dock. The shipping is all done near the North End quarry from which a narrow gauge horse track (runs) to the South quarry, for the transportation of the red granite. Five portable engines furnish power for hoisting at different parts of the quarry, requiring the employment of five licensed engineers. There are also four large steam drills in operation. The number of men employed is about 115, of whom some seventy-five board at the company’s boarding house on the Island. A small streamer furnishes transportation to and from Deep River. The laborers are under the supervision of Mr. McKenna, who has general charge of the men employed. The quarry superintendent is Mr. H. B. Hooper, of Brooklyn. There are two blacksmith shops employing six men, who are under the direction of Ernest Webber. About half way between the two quarries stands the stone cutters’ shop. This is simply a roof supported by pillars. Under this shelter are employed about thirty paving cutters. The stone cutting is under the charge of Mr. John Riley.

    “At present the cutters are working on a very large contract for stone which is to be used for the gate house on the great Croton aqueduct at Croton Lake in New York State. The gate house, will, when finished, be the largest in the world. It is about 110 feet square, the front being of cut stone and the north, south and west elevations of smooth stone. The company also has another contract for a million and one-half paving stone, to be used for Surf Avenue, one of the principle streets at Coney Island.

    “The capacity of the quarry is about 3,500 blocks per day at the present time, but the business is being extended and in a short time it is expected that the number of men employed will be much larger and with new facilities, the amount of production.

    “A claim is made by the company that the stone produced by them has greater strength than many of the other so-called granites. In a prospectus issued by them, are given the results of tests made for the purpose of ascertaining the strength of the stone. From the fact that the granite is so durable in this climate, the argument is made that it must have a powerful resistance to erosion and disintegration by climatic changes. The geological evidences of durability of the stone are easily found in the great height of the bluffs. I. H. Woolston, E. M., of the School of Mines, Columbia College, has made tests which would be interesting only to professional men, showing the durability of the rock.

    “The stone taken from Lord’s Island is the Brotite (Biotite) Hornblend (sic) variety, and the combination of the clear feldspar with the black brotite (biotite) gives the granite its red color. The rocks on the west side of the river are of a different variety, called Muscovite-Hornblend (sic), containing some garnet.

    “The granite found at Lord’s Island and Kirtland Rocks, Deep River, is claimed to be finest grained and the richest in color of any granite so far discovered.

    “Mr. Woolson made forty-nine tests of the granites of the strength of the rocks. The tests were made upon the Emery hydraulic testing machine, and the results were ‘the most remarkable on record’. A series of eight tests upon the Lord’s Island red granite gave crushing average resistance of 24,000 pounds per square inch. Out of twenty-three tests of Kirtland Rocks granite, the average resistance was 35,000 pounds per square inch. The enormous strength of this granite may be appreciated when it is compared with a statement by Professor Thurston that the strength of good granite is from 10,000 to 14,000 pounds.”

  • Selden Island, Connecticut - the Selden Island/Lord’s Island Red Granite Quarries - Article written and contributed by Warner Lord.

    Selden Island, Connecticut

    By Warner Lord

    Selden Island is Connecticut’s largest island comprising over 600 acres. Presently owned largely by the State of Connecticut, it is accessible only by water. There is a large sandy beach at the northern end of the island and smaller beaches along the riverside. Selden Creek offers anchorage for large boats entering from the south. Only small boats are able to enter or exit Selden Cove from the north due to a sand bar. The cove itself is quite shallow especially at low tide. A trip up Selden’s Creek leads to a quiet world of dark trees, luxuriant stands of grass, and steep granite cliffs offering a unique escape from the broad expanse of the river. This sheltered waterway leads north from the river to Selden’s Cove and then west to the river. To the east of the creek lie the towns of Lyme and Hadlyme: to the west lies Selden Island.

    Once a neck of land connected to the mainland at its northern end as shown by the early map on the cover, it was transformed into an island rather suddenly. In 1854 a great freshet, a flood spawned in the melting of snow of northern New England, came roaring the river leaving destruction its wake. Elizabeth Alice Ely wrote in her diary that folks said it was the worst flood that had ever been seen. They called it the “Nebraska Flood”. Her entry dated Monday May 1, 1854 reads:

    “It has been a pleasant day, The freshet keeps rising, and the river is full of wood, timber, rails and such like. The steamboat depot at Middletown was brought down by the freshet this afternoon and stopped just below here. This afternoon a bridge belonging to Chester came down and stopped. An ice house just above was torn down and there was plenty of ice to cool down the freshet with. This is the longest freshet that was ever known by the oldest residents here, unless it was the one of the year 1801.”

    In addition to transporting a steamboat depot and an ice house, the roaring river cut off Selden Neck from the mainland creating the island that exists today.

    Selden Island is a place of rare natural beauty and intriguing history - a place of wonder and mystery. The bedrock of the southern end of the island is a dense pink granitic gneiss with speckles of black mica that attracted quarrymen at the end of the nineteenth century. Stone walls and rocky outcroppings are scattered about the rough terrain of the island. The wooded areas abound in a great variety of fungi, wildflowers, and ferns. A few very large oaks and maples are also to be found. Everywhere are seen fallen hemlocks, victims of the wooly adelgid. Other areas are carpeted with grass beneath a canopy of trees. Cold Spring still bubbles with cool water that once filled the water casks of sailing ships.

    Other than birds, wildlife is not often seen but there is evidence of deer, turtles, and beaver. The State of Connecticut maintains four campsites that are available for one night at a time.

    The visitor to the island will find a varied landscape with considerable evidence of human activity. Occasional glimpses of intriguing objects will pique the curiosity like a large piece of curiously shaped Selden Island granite found on the beach just below the high tide line. What story does it tell and why is it there?

    The island’s history begins in 1652 when the General Court of Hartford conveyed to Capt. John Cullick 400 acres including Selden Neck. In 1691 it was sold to John Leverett and in 1696 it was purchased by Joseph Selden of Hadley, Massachusetts. The Selden family worked the land as farmers and fishermen. The Seldens sold a portion of the island to Josiah Lord in 1868 and for a time the island was called Lord’s Island.

    For nine generations the family cared for the land and after 280 years ownership for the remaining part of the island passed from family ownership in 1976.

    Archaeological excavations by the University of Connecticut in 1983 indicated that Native Americans inhabited the island some 2500 years ago leaving behind pottery shards so unique they are the standard by which similar shards are judged. Their distinguishing characteristic is a design made by pressing a clam shell into damp clay.

    Near the Quarry Knob campsite at the southern end of the island is a small sandy beach that offers a convenient landing place for visitors. The first evidence of human activity is short walk from the landing place near the campsite. These low stone walls and a longer, more substantial wall 60 feet long suggest two buildings that may have been past of the quarrying operation. Careful examination of the individual blocks of stone in the walls reveals telltale evidence of the cylindrical holes drilled by quarry workers intent on splitting stones into smaller pieces.

    In 1890 extensive quarrying activity centered on the island. The Connecticut Valley Mining Company employed hundreds of workers quarrying granite and shaping it into paving blocks for the cities of Philadelphia and New York. In 1891 the capacity of the quarry was 3,500 paving blocks per day. Until 1903, when the company went bankrupt, shiploads of paving blocks were shipped from docks along the river.

    Today the southern end of the island bears testimony to labor of these workers. The cliffs bear the scars of the gun powder explosions that tore great masses of pinkish granitic gneiss from their resting place. 600 to 800 million year old pieces of rock fell way to be attacked with hammers and chisels and shaped into paving blocks. The remains of this work litter the landscape. The rocks bear the cylindrical scars of the steam drill bits. Everywhere lie piles of broken stone. Quarry pits mark the sites where many labored. Roads and rail beds lead from the quarry face to the wharves on the river’s edge.

    To walk among the rock ruins is to marvel at the energy of the 600 workers. The remains of their work are scattered about the island as are other evidence of their presence. The river bank is lined with the remnants of the docks where the ships were loaded. At the foot of a cliff lie the remains of several metal barrels used to carry away the results of blasting. Rusted steel cable reflects the giant derricks used to move the stone. Everywhere lie piles of broken stone.

    From the landing place a blue blazed trail leads in a southeasterly direction to a causeway built with quarry rubble. The causeway, crossing a swamp, was built so railroad track could be laid to move stone from the quarry area to the waterfront. Rocks along the causeway also show evidence of the incessant drilling needed to free the stone from the quarry face. Many holes are larger than those commonly seen in smaller stones. These larger holes suggest they were drilled in order that they might be filled with gunpowder for blasting.

    Where the causeway leaves the wetlands, a rough roadway leads to the left to the quarry face where great piles of quarry rubble and the barrels mentioned earlier bear witness to the quarrymen’s work.

    Continuing along the causeway the visitor passes a water filled pit that may have been created when the causeway was built. Careful observation here will reveal several more artifacts: bits of metal, rusted bolts and steel cable. Beyond the water-filled pit on the right of the causeway, at the base of a tree, are visible pieces of black clinker – the residue of burning coal. The presence of coal lends a new dimension to the work of the quarrymen. Steam was necessary to power the large drills. This steam was generated in coal fired boilers.

    A rocky path leads right to a jumble of rock with a well-worn galvanized pail atop a massive outcrop. Beneath the pail is an other remnant of rusted steel cable and a curious horizontal row of small, finger-sized hole connected by a long crack.

    Perhaps the pail held water to quench the quarryman’s work as he toiled at drilling the small holes. Close examination will reveal several of the tools left behind. These tools are called “plugs and feathers” or “feathers and wedges”. The feathers are placed in the holes that had been drilled with a hand-held drill and a hammer. The plug or wedge was slipped between the feathers and hit with the hammer. The quarryman began at one end of the row of holes hammering each wedge in turn. He continued hammering until the force of the wedges on the feathers caused the rock to split forming the crack.

    Once the rock had been split it must be moved. Here the steel cable and a derrick were needed. Steam provided the power for the hoisting engine which in turn operated the derrick lifting the rock. The derrick was supported by steel cables that were anchored to iron rings set into solid rock. One of these iron rings can be seen beside the blue trail as it leaves the quarry area.

    From this highest point of the island a trail leads north to the site of a large house marked only by the remains of the found ation. The trail is marked with scattered red blazes and standing stones. Near the foundation lies cattered bricks. The remnants of a cast iron stove can be seen in the cellar hole. Close to north eastern edge of the foundation are several stones with holes drilled in them. Could this be where more quarry workers were practicing?

    A hundred yards north of the foundation stand two large vertical stones that seem to represent a gate way or entrance to the location of the foundation. Each stone stands six feet tall. Near the standing stones is what appears to be the wall of a small stone building. From this area the red blazed trail leads to the Spring Ledge campsite.

    The story of Selden Island can be read in the rocks that form its foundation and the artifacts left behind of generations of quarry workers, inhabitants, and visitors. The rich natural history and ecology of Connecticut’s largest island beckon the camper, the hiker, the bird watcher, the kayaker and nature lover. Each trip to island is different. Seasons change and new sights are seen. It is a place to visit again and again.

    Cold Spring still pours forth its crystal clear water - the same spring that replenished the water casks of sailing ships and quenched the quarry worker’s thirst.

    The facts of ownership and quarrying are interspersed with tales of gossip and unrequited love, and a mystery that has become legendary – the mystery of the lotus flower.

    In 1878 a doctor from Essex found a marvelous flower while hunting in the area. The flower was described as very large with leaves like lily pads large enough to support a baby. After considerable research he determined they were lotus lily flowers known to grow in Egypt. He believed they would only bloom once every 25 years.

    In 1953 a local newspaper published an article about the mysterious lilies that had not been seen since 1903. The story was retold and witnesses were found who knew of their existence. A woman said she had painted a picture of the lily. Mildred Warner Lord commented that her brother had picked a flower and brought it home.

    How did Egyptian lilies come to blossom in Selden’s Cove? How did they get to the cove? And why has no one seen them in a hundred years? Some believe they were in rolls of linen fabric stolen from Egyptian tombs. The fabric was sent to paper mills in Connecticut and the seeds found their way to Selden’s Cove.

    2003 was the year in which the mysterious lilies should have bloomed again. None were seen. The legend of lotus lily lives on in the shallow waters of Selden Cove. Its telling adds to the enchantment of this special place.

    A murder never solved haunts the woods of the island. In 1902 an Italian cook who worked for the quarrying company spoke too freely at his retirement party and revealed he had hidden his life savings on the island and was going to dig them up for his retirement years. That night he disappeared and was never seen again. It was supposed he had retrieved his life savings and returned to Italy.

    Eight years after the farewell party a hunter found a skeleton under a wall on the island. In the midst of the bones was brass belt buckle known to have been worn by the cook! The body was never positively identified.

    The mystery remains. Was the cook murdered? Was his treasure really buried on the island? Was it found or is still there waiting? David Wordell who researched the history of the island for 10 years believes he found the spot where the treasure was reported to have been buried but has never been able to find it since! The writer believes he has found the remains of the pit where the Cook buried his life savings. Beside the pit lie the remains of a metal box that might have held the cook’s fortune.

    If you wished to escape from the cares of the world or to live alone is a beautiful place you could do no better than choose Selden Island or Selden Cove. Two men did just that.

    In 1930 a convicted counterfeiter from Cheshire hid on the island for several weeks. He erected a canvas shelter in front of a cliff and covered it with branches to hide it from prying eyes. Friends brought him food and he hid his trash in a crevice in the rocky cliffs where it can still be seen today.

    Selden Cove was home to a hermit who vowed he would never speak to another human being as long as he lived. His is a story of a cruel lover and a town that sought to resolve an embarrassing situation!

    In the 1840s two brothers named Holloway lived in Tolland County, Connecticut. They were both courting a woman named Hester. Andrew Holloway apparently convinced her to marry him but for some reason she continued to see the other brother. The townspeople, to say nothing of Andrew, were quite upset by this and insisted that the problem be resolved and demanded that Hester choose one brother or the other.

    Hester was a candle maker so it was suggested that she make two candles - one for each brother. She would light the candles and the one whose candle burned out first would be the loser. On the appointed night the candles were lighted and the town waited for the decision to be made. Andrew’s candle burned out first. He accused Hester of putting soft spot in this candle.

    Abandoned by Hester, Andrew swore he would never speak to another human being as long as he lived. He bought a large boat and anchored it in Selden Cove where he spent the rest of his life keeping his vow of silence.

    A reporter heard his story and interviewed him for a newspaper article. He noted that Andrew communicated only by writing on a slate. He kept fish pens near his boat and, the reporter wrote, could call fish to the surface by snapping his fingers.

    Much of what we know of Selden Island is fact but much is legend and perhaps pure storytelling. No matter. It all gives life to this beautiful place. Its winding creeks, silent cove and rocky landscape draw those seek the beauty of a natural place and the intrigue of history and legend.

  • Simsbury, Connecticut – Ensign-Bickford Company (The following information is an advertisement in Pit and Quarry: Sand – Gravel – Stone, magazine, December 1921, pp. 111.)

    Ensign-Bickford Company

    Simsbury, Connecticut

    Cordeau-Bickford Safety Detonating Fuse

    Cordeau-Bickford Detonating Fuse should be used wherever the well drill method of blasting is used. It adds from 10 to 20 per cent to the efficiency of the charge. Cordeau is safe. It’s economical. It is practically instantaneous.

    May we send you the Cordeau booklet?

    (Caption under photograph: Cordeau was used to detonate the explosive in this 400,000-ton blast.)

  • South Glastonbury, Connecticut - Howe No. 1 Quarry (photographs and history) This quarry is described in “The Quarries and Minerals of the Dayton Road District, South Glastonbury, Connecticut” (in the Middletown-Portland pegmatite district), by John H. Betts, Fine Minerals.
  • South Glastonbury, Connecticut – The Quarries and Minerals of the Dayton Road District, South Glastonbury, Connecticut (in the Middletown-Portland pegmatite district), by John H. Betts, Fine Minerals (maps, history and sources are included). Quarries mentioned in the article include: the Simpson quarry, the Hollister quarry, the Howe No. 1, the Howe No. 4 quarry, and the Wiarda and Eureka quarries.
  • Southbury, Connecticut – O & G Industries Inc. – Trap Rock Quarry (present-day company), 236 Roxbury Road, Southbury, CT 06488; (203) 263-2708.
  • Stafford Springs, Connecticut - Skyline Granite Schist Quarry (Present-day quarry in the hills of northern Connecticut - invites visitors to view their operations.) While this link was active a few years ago the link is not available by October 2005. Following is the original information: (present-day quarry in the hills of northern Connecticut – invites visitors to view their operations)
    <http://www.remindernet.com/skyline/>
  • Stamford & Branford, Connecticut – The Yale & Towne Manufacturing Company Works (The following information is from an advertisement in Stone: An Illustrated Magazine, Vol. XI, No. 6, November, 1895, Stone Publishing Co., New York, pp. xii.)
  • The Yale & Towne Manufacturing Company.

    Yale Style-Chiselry.

    Memorial Tablets, Panels, Records, Grilles, Borders.

    Decorative and Art Metal Work of Every Description.

    A revival of the ancient art of incising metals, retaining all its beauty, possibilities and individuality, but accomplished by methods which have been developed during years of patient investigation and expensive experiment, whereby work of this kind can now be produced at a small fraction of the cost involved by any methods heretofore known.

    General Offices: 280 Broadway, New York City.

    Works: Stamford, Conn. – Branford, Conn.

    Salesrooms:

    New York, 84-86 Chambers St.

    Philadelphia, 1120 Market-St.

    Buffalo, Builders’ Exchange

    Chicago, 151-154 Wabash-Ave.

    Boston, 224 Franklin-St.

    San Francisco, Mills Building.

      • Stamford, Connecticut – the Yale & Towne Manufacturing Company Works  (1896 Advertisement in The Monumental News, Vol. 8, #3, March 1896, pp. 195)
    The Yale & Towne Manufacturing Co. Chain Block Advertisement ("The Monumental News," March 1896)

    The Yale & Towne Manufacturing Co. Chain Block Advertisement (The Monumental News, March 1896)

    Chain Blocks of Paralleled Efficiency
    Write for 28-Page Illustrated Catalogue, giving full explanation of picture here shown.

    The Yale & Towne Manufacturing Co.
    Salesrooms:
    New York 84-86 Chambers Street – Chicago, 152-154 Wabash Avenue
    Philadelphia, 1120 Market Street – Boston, 224 Franklin Street
    Buffalo, Builders’ Exchange – San Francisco, Mills Building
    General Offices:  289 Broadway, New York – Works:  Stamford, Conn., Branford, Conn.

    • Stony Creek, Connecticut – the Stony Creek Granite Quarries History – “A Brief History of
      Stony Creek Quarries
      ,” by Liza Carroll, January 19, 2012, on the Town of Branford’s web site.
    • Stony Creek, Connecticut – Foundations of America, by Prof. Scott Leone – Stony Creek Granite Quarry Industry.
    • (from the web site)  “Foundations of America explores the relationship between natural resources, immigration and rise to national prominence of the community surrounding the Stony Creek pink granite quarries from 1850 to the present. For over 150 years, the culture, economics and surrounding this precious resource has found permanent positions in U.S. History. Literally and figuratively, the Nation’s history of the past 150 years is revealed by tracing the demand for and usages of stone from Connecticut’s Stony Creek quarries by rail, land and sea. In the larger sense, Stony Creek as metaphor for similar natural resource centers around the country.”

      Below are just a few of the many interesting and valuable links on the Foundations of America web site:

    • Stony Creek Museum, Branford, Connecticut

    • Stony Creek, Connecticut – the Stony Creek Granite Quarry – Dodds Granite Company (Granite) (from Modern Memorial Art:  Some Examples Cut in Stony Creek, Milford Pink and Victoria White Granites (PDF), The Dodds Granite Company, Main Office, Milford, Massachusetts, pp. 42)

      Stony Creek Quarry, Stony Creek, Conn. Stony Creek Quarry, splitting a block of granite, Stony Creek, Conn. Stony Creek Quarry, hoisting a piece of granite, Stony Creek, Conn.

      “This view in one of our Stony Creek quarries gives only a faint idea of the size of the ledges.”  (pp. 43)

      “Splitting a mammoth block of Stony Creek granite, 48 feet long, 14 feet long, and 7 feet thick.  Total weight three hundred ninety five tons.”  (pp. 42)

      “Hoisting a piece of Stony Creek granite that was soon converted into a stately column shaft 25 feet high and 3 feet 6 inches in diameter.”  (pp. 42)

    • Stony Creek, Connecticut - the Norcross Quarry - "Branford Red" Granite (from The Commercial Granites of New England, Bulletin 738, 1923)
      Stony Creek, Connecticut - the Norcross Quarry - Polished slab of pegmatitic biotite granite gneiss, "Branford Red," from Norcross Quarry, Stony Creek, Conn. Showing irregularity in size of grains owing to pegmatization and in their arrangement owing to flow structure, and probably also in part to gneissic foliation. Rule 12 inches long. (Plate XXX) Stony Creek, Connecticut - the Norcross Quarry - Polished slab of pegmatitic biotite granite gneiss
    • Stony Creek, Connecticut - Norcross Quarry - "Branford Red Granite" from the Norcross Quarry at Stony Creek, from The Granites of Connecticut, Bulletin 484, by T. Nelson Dale and Herbert E. Gregory, Department of the Interior, United States Geological Survey, Government Printing Office, Washington, D. C., 1911)
      Obelisk of hammered pegmatitic biotite granite gneiss ("Branford Red Granite") "Now erected to commemorate the opening of the Sault Ste. Marie Canal." Obelisk of hammered pegmatitic biotite granite gneiss
    • Stratford, Connecticut – Curtis & Hughes, Stratford Granite & Marble Works  (The following information was obtained from a business card.)

      Curtis & Hughes
      Stratford Granite & Marble Works

      We respectfully call your attention to our facilities for manufacturing and finishing every description of first class


    Granite & Marble.

      Our knowledge, experience and facilities for working granite and marble, enable us to furnish first class work at Reasonable Prices.

      Estimates cheerfully given on all kinds of Monumental and Cemetery Work in either Granite or Marble, and prices will be as low as possible consistent with first class materials and workmanship.  Correspondence solicited.

    • Toland County, Connecticut – Wayne C. Williams General Construction Inc. Quartzite Quarry. In 1995 this company was operating a quartzite quarry in Tolland County. At that time the company headquarters was in Stafford Springs, Connecticut. (From United States Geological Survey, "Mineral Industries Surveys - Directory of Principal Dimension Stone Producers in the United States in 1995," prepared in January 1997.)
    • Washington, Connecticut - Marble Quarries - from Arbuckle's Ariosa Coffee Trade Cards, copyright 1915 - Connecticut, presented by Jeffrey Buck." There are immense quarries of red sandstone at Portland and Cromwell, and marble and limestone is quarried at Canaan and Washington. A large amount of orthoclase comes from Glastonbury and Middletown."
    • Waterford, Connecticut - the Booth Granite Quarry. Please click here to view the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument at Whitinsville, Massachusetts, created from "Connecticut white granite" which originated from the Booth Granite Quarry.
      Accompanying this entry is a photograph which caption reads: "A. Panel with bas-relief at base of monument. This is of fine-grained quartz monzonite from Waterford, and shows its adaptation to lettering and carving. Height of relief, half an inch." Panel with bas-relief at base of monument
    • Waterford, Connecticut – the Granite Quarrying Industry - Excerpt from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation web site.

    [Top of Page]