Logo Picture Left SideLogo Picture Right SideLogo Text at Center

Inyo Dolomite Quarries Photographic Tour

Dolomite Quarries Near Lone Pine, Inyo County, California

“Dolomite Mine” Dolomite Monument
donated by Manuel Castro, the F. W. Aggregates Plant Superintendent
to the Slim Princess Chapter 395, E. Clampus Vitus

The following photographs of some of the dolomite quarries located near Lone Pine were taken in late September 2010. You can read more about these quarries in the Inyo County quarries section of our web site. (These photographs were taken with permission. The dolomite quarries are all located on private property, so permission needs to be obtained before entering the property.) Peggy B. Perazzo and Pat Perazzo. (You will find the transcription of the plaque at the bottom of this page.)

“Dolomite Mine” Dolomite Monument “Dolomite Mine” Dolomite Monument “Dolomite Mine” Dolomite Monument
 

“Dolomite Mine” Dolomite Monument

 
Dolomite Mine Monument Plaque Dolomite Mine Monument Plaque Dolomite Mine Monument Plaque
 

Dolomite Mine Monument Plaque

 
Closeup photographs of parts of the dolomite monument Closeup photographs of parts of the dolomite monument Closeup photographs of parts of the dolomite monument
 

Closeup photographs of parts of the dolomite monument

 
Closeup photographs of parts of the dolomite monument Closeup photographs of parts of the dolomite monument Closeup photographs of parts of the dolomite monument
     

Dolomite Mine

“In 1862 this high quality deposit of dolomitic limestone was discovered.  Its remote location delayed development until 1883, when the Carson & Colorado Railroad was constructed.  In 1885, Drew Haven Dunn filed a mining claim and the Inyo Marble Company began quarrying operations.  The property was purchased in 1959 by Premiere Marble Products.  They produced dolomite marble in several colors and its final product is widely used in Terrazzo flooring, roofing, landscaping and in swimming pool and chemical filters.

“Premiere Marble was purchased by its present owner F. W. Aggregates, in 1992 and continues operation to this day.  It is the largest dolomite marble mine in the United States.  A recent survey of the mines potential revealed that the dolomite deposit is approximately seven miles long and 1,400 feet deep, giving it a virtual unlimited supply for many years to come.  Plant Superintendent, Manuel Castro has generously donated these large white dolomite rocks for Slim Princess Chapter’s historic plaques for the past 35 years.

Dedicated June 17, 2006
Slim Princess Chapter 395

E. Clampus Vitus

(The transcription of the Dolomite Mine monument plaque is by Peggy B. Perazzo.)

[Top of Page]