Logo Picture Left SideLogo Picture Right SideLogo Text at Center
Home > Search > Site Map > California > CA - Quarry Links and Photographs... > Mineral Resources of Siskiyou County...

Mineral Resources of Siskiyou County
of portions of California

Extract from

Report XIV of the State Mineralogist
Mines and Mineral Resources of Siskiyou County
and of Portions of California

California State Mining Bureau, San Francisco, California
Biennial Period 1913-1914
(Chapters of State Mineralogist's Report).

Solano County

Limestone1

"The (limestone) deposit at Cement is on land owned by E. N. Tooby, about 5 miles northeast of Fairfield. Many years ago 'Suisun marble' was quarried here, and prior to 1900 the material was used for flux at the Selby Smelter.2 From 1902 until about 1910 it was the principal source of limestone for the cement plant. W. L. Watts3 describes the deposit as resembling a stockwork for the surrounding rock is a breccia of sandstone and shale cemented by lime and traversed in all directions by veinlets and irregular bunches of the so-called marble. Much of this has the luster of resin, and some is delicately banded. Most of the lime was taken from what was known as the main quarry which covers about 9 acres in the NE 1/4 NW 1/4 sec. 8, T. % N. R. 1 W. A second quarry covering about 80 acres was opened later in the E 1/2 sec. 8. The shale used in cement manufacture occurs interstratified with Cretaceous beds and was quarried about a mile from the mill site. Until 1927 the plant continued to operate, using an increasingly larger proportion of limestone brought by rail from El Dorado County...."

Travertine.4

Several small deposits of travertine occur at Tolenas Springs about 4 miles north of Suisun in the Vaca Mountains. These are spring deposits formed by precipitation of the carbonate-bearing water, probably when the springs were more active than now. Similar patches of travertine are found about 3 miles north of the springs near the crest of the Vaca Mountains and also in the hills 6 miles northeast of Suisun on property formerly owned by the Pacific Portland Cement Company. Many years ago beautifully banded travertine were obtained both here and at Tolenas Springs, but it was impossible to secure large enough blocks for a profitable operation.5

Quarries in Solano County

Paris Brothers - This company leased from Pacific Coast Aggregate at Hoyt Siding on State Highway 21 about halfway between Benicia and Cordial In 1890 there was a small paving-block quarry active. There was also an attempt to produce aggregate during 1913 and 1914, but it failed. "The operation was on an isolated hill composed of southwest-dippling flows and tuff beds of the Sonoma volcanics."

Cordelia Quarry6 - About a mile east of Cordelia the Cordelia Quarry was located on an isolated hill. At the time of the report the owner and operator was J. M. Nelson. Paving blocks were produced by this quarry as early as 1875, but the quarry did not become a large-scale operation until about 1883. The quarry production eventually changed from producing blocks to crushed rock. The quarry changed hands several times, although the quarry remained in production.

Hein Brothers Basalt Rock Company - This pit was owned by Mark Hein at Haystack Landing on U. S. Highway 1010 east of Petaluma. "It is close to the old Petaluma Rock Quarry which formerly produced paving blocks and crushed rock."7

"The pit was first opened in August 1925 on a basalt flow 100 feet thick which caps a small hill. Material near the top and bottom is scoriaceous and grades inward to a black porphyry, which is highly vesicular...."

"This pit has a face about 50 feet high. Thirty-foot holes are drilled into the toe, and when these are blasted, the upper part of the face caves...."

A. B. Siri Pit - "The A. B. Siri pit is located just to the east of the Petaluma Hill road near the Steuben School, 4 1/2 miles southeast of Santa Rosa. The operation, which is less than 2 years old, produces crushed rock from a flow on the southwest flank of Taylor Mountain...." The stone produced was used for paving and grading.

Basalt Rock Company - "About 2 1/2 miles south of Napa on State Highway 29 and a mile southeast of the sanitarium, is the large pit of the Basalt Rock Company of Napa. Work began here in 1921 as a hand operation...Much of the rock quarried is a gray porphyry with feldspar phenocrysts...."

"Approximately half a mile to the east is another large quarry which has now been abandoned."

Juarez Quarry - "The Juarez Quarry8 is a pit owned by M. L. Reidenback and is about 2 miles east of the Napa Station, off Terrace Drive and on the south side of Tulucay Creek." Since before 1900 this quarry produced crushed rock of a purple-black color.

Marin Gravel Company - "The Marin Gravel Company crushed rock from Franciscan chert on Lagunitas Creek 2 miles east of Point Reyes Station. The pit, which is on the south side of Black Mountain has but a single face, which is 100 feet long and 50 feet high...."

Fairville Quarry and Gravel Company - "At the point marked 'Quarries' north of Sears Point on the Mare Island quadrangle the Fairville Quarry and Gravel Company operated a pit from 1907 to 1910.9...The upper layers are a gray porphyry with many feldspar phenocrysts, some eighty of an inch long...."

Producers of "Flagstones" and Colored Building Stone10

Valley of the Moon Quarry - "The Valley of the Moon or Cabrol quarry is one of the largest producers of 'flagstones' in the area and has operated more or less continuously since 1928. It is owned by S. Cobrol and leased and operated by R. J. Johns. The quarry is south of Trinity Road half a mile from State Highway 12 in sec. 10, T. 6 N., R. 6 W. The rock quarried is a blue-gray banded rhyolite which readily splits into layers 1 or 2 inches thick...Blocks are pried out and hauled onto the quarry floor where they are split by hand."

Gerberding Quarry - At the time of the report the quarry was leased by Richard Pittock. The quarry was located "northwest of the Valley of the Moon quarry, north of Trinity Road about half a mile from State Highway 121. The quarry yielded a large quantity of stone...but not much valuable stone remains...The quarry now in use is a pit approximately 100 by 200 feet in plan by 20 feet deep, but there are several abandoned openings as large as this."

Candy Rock Quarry - This quarry was located a "mile and a half up Nuns Canyon from State Highway 12 in sec. 3, T. 6 N., R. 6 W., and is the Candy Rock or Nuns Canyon Quarry, owned and operated by V. O. Campbell. Highly colored building blocks gray, green, and pink are produced very occasionally...."

Johnson Quarry - This quarry was located on land belonging to William Youngman and it was located "near Trinity Road, a mile from State Highway 12." At the time of the report the quarry had a face 20 feet high and approximately 100 feet long. 'Flagstones' were produced at the quarry.

Rainbow Quarry - "John Sitenga, contracting stone mason, obtains both flagstones and building stones from the Rainbow quarry located in sec. 36. T. 6 N., R. 6 W., half a mile east and a little north of the Agua Caliente Post Office. In the southwest part of the quarry, the rock is a soft, blue-gray rhyolite. There were three openings to the quarry along the hillside within 100 years of each other.

Gordenker Quarry - Stone produced from this quarry was a banded rhyolite. The quarry was on land "...belonging to Annadel Farm on Bennett Mountain 1 1/2 miles west of Lawndale and leased by Rodney Gordenker early in 1948. Production were blocks and flagstones.

Napa County

Limestone11

"The limestone deposit southeast of Napa Junction from 1903 to 1908 furnished material to a plant owned by the Standard Portland Cement Company. The limestone is interbedded with Knoxville shales and ranges from argillaceous varieties to pure limestone...."


1Geology and Mineral Deposits of an Area North of San Francisco Bay, California: Vacaville, Antioch, Mount Vaca, Carquinez, Mare Island, Sonoma, Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and Point Reyes Quadrangles, Bulletin 149, 1949, pg. 88.

2California Journal of Mines and Geology: Mines and Mineral Resources of Contra Costa County, California and Research in Mining and the Mineral Industries of California, Volume 54, Number 4, October 1958. October 1958., pg. 88 footnote: Logan, C. A., Limestone in California: California Jour. Mines and Geology, vol. 43, p. 332, 1947.

3Ibid., pg. 88 footnote: Watts, W. L., Solano County: California Min. Bur. Report 10, pg. 670, 1890.

4Geology and Mineral Deposits of an Area North of San Francisco Bay, California: Vacaville, Antioch, Mount Vaca, Carquinez, Mare Island, Sonoma, Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and Point Reyes Quadrangles, Bulletin 149, 1949, pg.106.

5Ibid., pg. 106 footnote: Watts, W. L. Solano County: California Min., Bur. Report. 10, pg. 668, 1890.

6Ibid., pg. 107 footnote: Watts, W. L., Solano County: California Min. Bur., Rept. 10, p. 325, 1890.

7Ibid., pg. 107 footnote: California State Mining Bureau, Sonoma County: California Min. Bur. Report. 14, p. 361, 1915.

8Ibid., pg. 109 footnote: Averill, C. V., Napa County: California Div. Mines Rept. 25, p. 240, 1929.

9Ibid., pg. 109 footnote: California State Mining Bureau, Sonoma County: California Min. Bur. Rept., 14, p. 355, 1915.

10Ibid, pgs. 112-113.

11California Journal of Mines and Geology: Mines and Mineral Resources of Contra Costa County, California and Research in Mining and the Mineral Industries of California, Volume 54, Number 4, October 1958. October 1958., pg. 88.



[Top of Page]