Logo Picture Left SideLogo Picture Right SideLogo Text at Center

Chinese Camp - Tuolumne County

Chinese Camp - A View of Main Street

Chinese Camp - A View of Main Street

Next we went northwest to Chinese Camp. The old buildings can be found along one street in amongst some newer buildings. In this town the Chinese Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus) has about taken over; it's like a miniature forest.

Chinese Camp - Another View of Main Street Most of Chinese Camp's old buildings fronts are made of brick, the sides and backs of the buildings are made of field stones of gabbro and serpentine stone and then covered with mortar. Today you can see where the mortar has worn off and the field stones are visible in the walls.


Chinese Camp Monument

Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail

Chinese Camp

Reportedly founded about 1849 by group of Englishmen who employed Chinese as miners. Much surface gold found on hills and flats. Headquarters for stage lines in early 1850's, and for several California Chinese mining companies. Chinese Camp Monument First Chinese Tong War in state fought near here between Sam Yap and Yan Woo Tongs. Present stone and brick post office build 1854, still standing. St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church built 1855 restored 1949. First Pastor, Father Henry Aleric

Historical Landmark No. 423

Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission

Base provided by Tuolumne County Council No. 2165, Knights of Columbus

Dedicated June 19, 1949




Chinese Camp - Buildings Still Standing Photo #1 Chinese Camp - Buildings Still Standing Photo #2 Chinese Camp - Buildings Still Standing Photo #3
Chinese Camp - Buildings Still Standing Photo #4 Chinese Camp - Buildings Still Standing Photo #5

Chinese Camp Buildings Still Standing

Chinese Camp Buildings still standing in town built of brick and field stones of gabbro and serpentine stone and then covered with mortar.

For more information on Chinese Camp click the following link:
Chinese Camp (photographs and information)



[Top of Page]